Monday, June 6, 2016

Hair Tool Review: Straightening Brush (Straightening Attempt #2)


Hey, beautiful people!  I have been saying for awhile that I would try straightening my hair again after my last epic fail.  If you are as hair obsessed as I am, then you have probably noticed that the new thing on the market is straightening brushes.  They range in price from $30 to $99.  I saw one on Groupon, and decided to try it.  I figured, at $26, I could trash it if I hated it.

To start off, I washed my hair with Carol’s Daughter BlackVanilla Shampoo, and conditioned with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Conditioner.  Next, I used Oyin Hair Dew as my leave-in.  Finally, because I am in the middle of a battle of the butters, I used Camille Rose Coconut Water Style Setter on the left side of my hair and Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter on the right.  I braided up my hair in two cornrows and let it sit all day Saturday and Sunday to dry.

On Sunday night, I detangled my hair section by section with a wide tooth comb first, and then with my large square paddle brush.  As I have learned from others, detangling is crucial.  For my heat protectants, I used Carol’s Daughter Chocolat Blow Dry Cream and It’s A 10 Leave-in.  Then, I used the straightening brush, running it slowly down each section, and holding the ends taunt until the brush reached near the end.  I started using the straightener at 210 degrees Celsius (410 Fahrenheit), and then decreased to 200 degrees (392 Fahrenheit) when I realized that I got the same results.


Overall, I love the ease of using this tool.  It is as easy as brushing your hair, and I got my whole head done (including thorough detangling) in an hour and a half!  It did not get my hair silk press swinging straight, but it did get it very straight with just a little bit of texture, and it is incredibly soft.  Some people are able to get the same results from a blow dryer, but I never have because I am blow dryer challenged.  So, this is a win for me.

The only downside to this tool for me was the cheap nature of the materials.  It took about 4 tries for me to get it to turn on.  Then, when I did, it kept turning itself off periodically.  Also, one of the brush sticks and 11 of the little red nubs fell off as I was straightening my hair.  One of the nubs even fell down the back of my shirt (not pleasant).  I also didn't realize that the degrees would be in Celsius when I purchased this.

I do plan to do this again, but I may buy a new straightening brush before I do.  Some of the ladies on Long Hair Care Forum have gotten good results from this one.

====

Blog Post Addition (6/19/2016) - For those of you that asked, I ultimately purchased the Acevivi Hair Straightener Brush because it does not have nubs.  When I try it out, I will post a review.  Also, in case you are wondering, yes, my curls came back when I washed my hair.



, , , , ,

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from my readers!