Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pregnancy And Essential Oils



Hey, beautiful people!  I’m headed into the third trimester of my pregnancy.  Home stretch!  Since I found out I was pregnant, I’ve been reading up on what essential oils I can use during pregnancy because I use a number of them in my homemade moisture spritz and some of the products I buy use them as well.  As a result, I gave up my Rosemary essential oil early on.  I thought I would share what I've learned in case it helps someone else.  


Here is the list of essential oils that I have learned to avoid because they can be unsafe in undiluted, high doses (most of these are still ok in food, but not tea):
·         Nutmeg (may have hallucinogenic effects and react with pain-relieving drugs)
·         Rosemary (may cause contractions)
·         Basil (may contribute to abnormal cell development)
·         Jasmine (may cause contractions)
·         Clary sage (may cause contractions)
·         Sage and rose (may cause in-utero bleeding)
·         Juniper berry (may affect your kidneys)
·         Lemongrass (can cause miscarriage or defects)
·         Cinnamon
·         Wintergreen

Here are the ones that are supposed to be ok for uncomplicated pregnancies:
  • Citrus oils, such as tangerine, lemon, orange and grapefruit
  • Chamomile
  • Lavender
  • Frankincense
  • Peppermint (always dilute it, and be careful at end because it may decrease milk supply)
  • Ylang ylang
  • Eucalyptus
  • Bergamot
  • Cypress
  • Tea tree oil (not when in labor)
  • Geranium
  • Spearmint
To be on the safe side, it is best to dilute any of these oils, rather than topically applying them straight out the bottle.  You should also still talk to your doctor about any essential oils you want to use.  For certain pregnancy complications and health conditions, you shouldn’t use any essential oils.  I always keep a running list of questions for my doctor to ask at each appointment.  If you don’t feel like you can ask your doctor every question you have, find a new doctor.


What Essential Oils Do You Use?
, , ,

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from my readers!