Saturday, December 28, 2013

Flat Iron Attempt #1


As a follow-up to my last post on avoiding heat damage, I finally took the plunge and flat ironed my hair.   Here is what I did.

  1. First I did an overnight deep conditioning treatment with moisturizing and protein deep conditioner.  I mixed Darcy’s Botanicals Deep Conditioning Mask, Curl Junkie Repair Me!, honey, grapeseed oil, and avocado oil.  My hair felt wonderful and strong when I rinsed it out.
  1. I cleansed my hair with co-wash (She Scent It Blueberry Co-wash), and then detangled with another moisturizing protein conditioner (Hairveda Acai Berry Phyto Conditioner).
  1. Then, I applied more protein as a leave-in (Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer) and heat protectant (Carol’s Daughter Chocolat Blow Drying Cream and Grapeseed Oil).
  1. I airdried for several hours so that my hair was not soaking wet, then blowdried on the medium setting using a modified version of the tension method.  I first tried to use a comb attachment, but it was rough on my ends, so I immediately stopped.
  1. Finally, I flat ironed at 300 degrees with more heat protectant (IC Fantasia Heat Protectant spray in the pink bottle).  Then I banded my flat ironed hair.
If I had it to do again, I would use Curlformers to dry my hair first.  Blowdrying was unnecessary, took a lot of time, and didn’t get my hair that straight.  However, I doubt I will be flat ironing my hair that often.  I did not get it that straight because I used such a low setting, but I did not want to go any higher and risk heat damage.  At the end of the day, if I really want a bone straight look, I can always wear a wig.


, ,

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from my readers!