Thursday, July 28, 2016

Battle of the Butters: Uncle Funky’s Daughter Supercurl and Extra Butter (The Braiding Files #8)


Hey, beautiful people!  As I went through my braiding challenge, one of the creams that I came across was Uncle Funky’s Daughter Supercurl.  Then, because I liked Uncle Funky’s Daughter’s shampoo, gel and Supercurl, I decided to purchase a sampling of other Uncle Funky’s Daughter products and do a head-to-head between the Supercurl and the Extra Butter.  I’ll do a power product review of the other products from the line at a later date.

For my head-to-head, I did a few braided styles, that later turned into braid outs, with Supercurl on the right side of my head and Extra Butter on the left.  Both the Supercurl and the Extra Butter give me a lot of shine and some hold.  However, I noticed that the moisture level in my hair, after using them, really depended on the leave-in I used under these products.  I needed a heavier, moisturizing leave-in because these are both very light.  For example, when I used Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, my hair was incredibly soft for days, in addition to having shine.  The day after I used the products with Camille Rose, I kept touching my braid out because I literally could not believe how soft my hair was.  For my previous review of Supercurl, I was using the Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter Conditioner, and you can see how great my hair looked here.  When I used Oyin Hair Dew, which is a little lighter, my hair was not as moisturized and the shine was a little less.

I also tried using them together with Oyin Hair Dew because I read a couple reviews where people mixed the two together.  This made my hair much softer than using either product alone.  The downside to this, however, is that I would have to buy two products, instead of one.

Consistency:  The Extra Butter wins in this category.  It is a cross between a light butter and a cream.  The Supercurl has the consistency of goop or paste, without the stickiness.  Also, when I rubbed Supercurl between my fingers and when I put it on my hair, it was very thin and watery; so, the first time I tried it, I wondered if it would be able to do anything.

Ingredients:  For me, this is a tie.  The ingredients in both are ok, though there are a couple that give me pause because I just don’t know as much about them:
  • Supercurl Ingredients:  Water, Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Honey, Polymide-1, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Stearate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Macadamia Seed Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Caramel.

  • Extra Butter Ingredients:  Water, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Oil, Shea Butter, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sweet Almond Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Fragrance, Potassium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Scent:  Supercurl wins this category by a slim margin.  It has a slightly sweet smell, while Extra Butter is a more chemical smell; but, both smell ok.  

Verdict:  They are very similar in how they make my hair look and feel.  If I had to pick one, however, I would pick the Extra Butter because of its consistency.  It is a little thicker, which makes it a little easier to smooth out potential flyaways. 
, , , , , , , , , ,

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from my readers!